Tuesday, October 20, 2015

NaNoWriYo

I'm writing a new novel. (Yes, I realize I have yet to finish the first two.) It's a slow novel. Right now I only have two paragraphs. And I have no idea what it's going to be about, who the characters are, if there will be a plot...none of that is decided, or even much thought about. But I have decided to write a paragraph a day until I figure it out. And then keep going until it's finished. Whenever that is.

I sense that it's going to be a long story, though, so I call it a novel.

Actually, right now I'm calling it "buncha words," because I am a master of pithy titles.

There is no way, given my current schedule, that I can participate in NaNoWriMo. In retrospect, I really wish I'd done it before I had kids; I had crazy free time then. But I didn't, and now I can't. Perhaps when the littles are more self-sufficient, I will attempt it. But this is not the year to try to write a novel in a month.

A novel in a year, however, is doable. That's like 140 words per day. Granted, my paragraphs are a bit short starting out, but I tend to ramble more the longer I write. I'll catch up.

So I have declared NaNoWriYo. (Should be NaNoWriYe, but Yo flows better.) I don't have a ton of time to write (or pee, eat, breathe), but surely I can squeeze in 140 words a day. And who knows? I might even finish a novel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment