Monday, October 12, 2015

I have a GP again!


I am so glad I went to the doctor for this. I used to go to this same doctor years ago, but stopped because he was no longer convenient to where I lived. I think now I will drive however long it takes to keep going back to this guy. He's nice. His whole staff is nice. And unlike so many medical professionals I've seen in recent years, I feel like he really heard me.

I told him what I'd been through up to that point, and he whipped out his phone. ("My surrogate brain," he said. Ah...a kindred spirit.) We talked through the options, and he told me which one he felt was best based on Kai's age and our circumstances. Unlike the other recommendations I got, I feel good about this one.

And the words "neti pot" were not uttered once. I like this man.

He is extremely supportive of my breastfeeding. He told me he believes breastfed babies are much healthier, so he is going to do everything in his power to help me continue. I have no intention of stopping anytime soon, so I need that kind of doctor. I can't say I am too impressed by the lactation consultants I've dealt with; the one on the hotline didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I told her what I was prescribed (bit of a red flag there), and the one from the hospital never called me back. (The hospital LCs are notoriously hard to get in touch with; aside from the time I was actually in the hospital, I've only managed to speak with one on one occasion.) I much prefer having a doctor that takes into account all of my needs. Some of us don't make enough milk for a freezer stash.

Best of all, I think we all had a positive experience during my doctor visit. Which is good, because we may need a doctor closer to home for the kids. (Right now we drive them to a pediatrician an hour away.) And R may need a doctor at some point. We've been minor med patients thus far, but it'd be nice to have a GP.

I hope we all get well soon. October is my favorite month; I don't want to miss it!


No comments:

Post a Comment