Thursday, May 22, 2014

Letting go

Last night I learned that my favorite social networking site, 43 Things, will be shutting down July 1. And I am in mourning.

When I discovered 43t, I was in a dark place. My marriage had imploded, as had an ill-advised relationship with my best friend that left me both single and mourning the closest relationship of my young adulthood. I was alone, directionless, and utterly lost. 43t gave me focus, friends, and hope. I am honestly a different, and better, person because of that site and the people on it.

Mine is not a unique story; other 43t-ers say the same. Only the details vary.

We are losing something very real. And while we are trying to recreate it, it won't be the same.

Life's that way. It changes. We change. That's how growth happens. It's just that growth hurts, and change is scary.

I have never been good at letting go. Even when the letting go was a blessing. Even when I initiated it. I'm more of a white-knuckle kinda girl.

This time, though, I'm going to do my best to honor 43t, its people, and my transformation because of them both by letting go gracefully.

Thank you, my friends, for being there for me these 8 wonderful, terrifying, crazy years. With any luck, I'll be able to stay in touch with many of you.

Thank you, Robot Co-op, for creating this site. Your work has meant more to more people than you can probably imagine. No grudges from me; I'm just grateful we had this time together.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment